Scheduled Upcoming Meetings of The Barchester Committee
20 February 2024
12 June 2024
9 October 2024
The Barchester Committee is responsible to the Board for providing support and assistance to church schools and academies in the upkeep and improvement of their buildings and sites and to schools/academies that are subject to reorganisation plans and closures. The Committee participates in the wide range of consultation processes and programmes set up by central and local government in order to preserve and promote church schools. Specifically its responsibilities are:
- To advise the Board on matters of edication legislation and its application to church schools, including academies
- To exercise the delegated powers to process the transactions listed in paragraphs 3(1), 3(2), 3(£) and 4 of the Diocesan Boards of Education Measure 1991
- To advise the Board on paragraphs 3(6), 7 and 8 of the Measure.
- To review and implement the Barchester Scheme, oversea the operation of the Barchester Fund and direct the work of the Property Adviser.
- To advise academies (where appropriate) on land and building issues.
- To consider school organisation issues.
- To enusre that good liaison is maintained with the Department for Education, the National Society and the local authorities in the diocese.
- To nominate representatives to the appropriate educational committees and fora of the local authorities of Sandwell, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Stole on Trent, Telford and Wrekin, Walsall and Wolverhampton.
- To have delegated powers to nominate trustees to school education trusts on behalf of the Board.
- To take executive decisions on appropriate matters within parameters and terms of reference prescribed by the Committee.
- To set project management and other fees payable in respect of the Dioceses’s administration and advisory work relating to capital schemes and land/trust issues.
- To submit the minutes of its meetings to the Board for ratification.
- To invite an appropriate number of participant observers to assist in the Committee’s deliberations.
Elected by the Board:
- Up to two Board Members
The Committee to have powers to co-opt:
- One head teacher or member of the senior leadership team of a secondary school or academy
- One head teacher or member of the senior leadership team of a primary school or academy
- Up to three foundation governors (or directors) of any school or academy
- Up to three other persons
- Four members of the Committee
current members elected to the Barchester Committee